Wednesday, November 30, 2011

How to Start a Revolution

I expressed outrage over the theme of this movie (about Gene Sharp) which was screened at the Center for Zionist Middle East Studies at Brandeis University.  I heard from the director: he kindly sent me a password to watch on-line.  I will report later.  But first: Gene Sharp starts by talking about his influence: and he marvels that his book has been translated into more than 30 languages.  I did not know that the man, who is irrelevant, is also dishonest: why did he not mention that his book was not translated into Arabic and other languages because people were interested in its contents but that it was translated at the behest of his own foundation which hired and paid the translators.  How dishonest of the irrelevant man.  Oh, but his book on revolution has original insights: he suggests that protesters should wave flags. I kid you not.  Before Gene Sharp made this observation, protesters in the Arab world were accustomed to waving their socks and underwear. Thank you Gene Sharp.  What would Arabs do without you.